Friday, February 12, 2010

The Best

Street Vendor in Essaouira




The Brit told me about the best hash.
Remember him? From Taghazout? Well, here in the Essaouira medina, all of the little kids play soccer or chase each other in some odd variation on Hide and Seek. Made me think of The Brit's story.

I am always intrigued by a subculture, regardless of their raison d'etre, and the town of Chefchaouen (sheff-shao-en) has been described as a candy store for hash lovers. My friend Lili describes it as a "town covered in sugar." She is referring to the buildings drenched in white plaster. In the sun, these frosting riads, reveal a light blue hue.

The Brit told me that the little boys have the best hash. When the marijuana fields are in full bloom, the little boys strip naked, and run through the fields. They duck through the fences. They evade the armed guards. They run, using their bodies as collecting devices.

After the insane sprint through the fields, they literally roll their merchandise off of their bodies. Who needs school when you can use your body to collect drugs.

2 comments:

  1. Pre-pubescent-boy-hash is about the most illegal sounding substance I've ever heard of -enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't partake. I just felt obligated to let you know. Anyway, the way you write it, calling attention to their sexual development, makes it sound somehow lewd. It is not. It is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete