Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Door 53

My new home in Tagazhout, Morocco:



I had the pleasure of negotiating with a Berber woman and her daughter. 


Thanks to Couchsurfing, I met Darkah. Thanks to her, I met Vladimir. Thanks to him, I met the family that rented me this place. It doesn't look like much, but it is a two bedroom oceanfront apartment all to myself. I paid about four-hundred fifty US dollars.


Here are my friends in front of Panorama Beach- yeah, that's right, I have cool Moroccan friends, and we take pictures of each other by the beaches we surf together at. Suck it, old friends:



Did I mention this is essentially where I live now?

I'll let you know how the month progresses, and don't worry- there is an interesting confluence of traditional Berber fisherman mixed with European surf-hippies- should keep things plenty interesting. We'll see how they like me.

TIP: When negotiating in Arabic, one strategy is to act confused and uncomprehending when they mention prices (not for those with limited time).

No comments:

Post a Comment